A free operating system update is available to all Videotron customers who have a Samsung Galaxy S III™ mobile phone.
Our mobile network will automatically send the update notification to your phone. You do not need to plug in your phone.
Steps to follow
You will receive a message on your phone’s screen that the update is available for download.
You must connect your phone to a Wi-Fi network in order to install the update. Your Galaxy S III™ has been configured to download updates only via a Wi-Fi connection. We recommend that you charge your phone’s battery to at least 50% before installing the software update.
All your contacts, and the photos, music, videos and applications downloaded to your phone will remain there once the update is complete. Note that some customers will receive the update before others, as the software is being distributed progressively. If you haven’t yet received a notification, please be patient, as you will receive it in the next few days.
Once the download begins, your phone will display the following:
Once the download is complete, you will be asked to restart your Galaxy S III™.
Manually downloading the update
You can check for updates and request to download the update from the Samsung servers. To check for updates and download one, follow these steps:
Check for updates
- Charge your battery to at least 50% before downloading the update.
- On the Home screen, press the Menu key.
- “About device”
- “Software update”
- If you are not connected to a Wi-Fi network, a pop-up message will appear, asking you to connect to one. If the update is not available, a message stating “The device is up to date” will appear.
- Follow the instructions that pop-up on-screen.
- Wait for your phone to restart. The Android 4.1.2 operating system is now updated.
What is new with this update?
This Samsung Galaxy S III™ update, called the “Premium Suite,” provides users with added features so that they can get the most out of the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean operating system.
Below is a list of some of the more important additions included in the Premium Suite update.
You can open two different apps at the same time into two different windows on the mobile screen. There are currently 14 apps that have this feature.
To enable and use the Multi-Window mode, follow these steps:
To activate or disable:
- Select “Menu”
- Select “Settings”
- Select “Display”
- Check the “Multi-Window” box to enable the multi-window mode. Uncheck the box to disable it.
How to use the Multi-Window mode
- Touch and hold the “Back” key
- A menu tray with the supported applications will appear on the side of the screen.
- Touch the screen and slide the desired applications to new spots on the menu tray.
- Tap “Edit” to move apps in or out of the Multi-Window list.
You can easily control the size of the text on your browser in order to better fit your device’s screen.
To turn on the Reader Mode, follow these steps:
- Open the Internet browser.
- In the address bar, tap the “R” icon next to the URL (see below)
- The text will increase or decrease in size depending on your preferences.
Facebook Lock Ticker
The easiest way to see your Facebook News Feed – set your phone to show it on your lock screen.
To set up the Facebook Lock Ticker, follow these steps:
- From the Home screen, tap the Menu key
- Select “Settings”
- Select “Lock Screen”
- Select “Lock Screen Options”
- Slide the bar next to Information Ticker to the right (On)
- Select “Information Ticker”
- Select “Contents type”
- Tick the box next to “Facebook”
Naturally you need to have a Facebook account and be logged in to it on your phone in order to be able to display the Facebook Lock Ticker on the device’s lock screen.
This app allows you to add different filters to your pictures whenever you want. Find it in the main menu.
Auto share shot pairing using NFC
By setting the camera to ‘Auto Share Shot’ mode, you can quickly share your photos and videos by simply tapping the Galaxy S III™ with other NFC- and S-Beam-enabled devices.
To use Autoshare shot, follow these steps:
- Open the Camera
- Select “Settings”
- Tap “Auto Share Shot”
- Tap “On” to activate
- Activate NFC and S-Beam on the other phone.
- Tap the devices together back-to-back
- Confirm that the photos were shared
Play songs, share photos and documents and play social games with multiple users via Group Play.
To add members, tap Group Play-compatible devices back-to-back.
“Not Allowed by SIM” problem solved
Several customers have received a message that states “Not allowed by SIM” when attempting to place a call using their Galaxy S III. The update fixes this problem.
Need help? Contact Technical Support
Services for the
hearing impaired (TTY)
From your Videotron mobile phone, dial 611.