What is phishing?
Phishing is an online fraud technique that aims to obtain a person’s personal information in order to steal their identity.
How can I recognize a phishing attempt?
You’ll receive an email asking you for information like your username, password or date of birth. The email often contains an attachment or a hyperlink to a fraudulent site.
If the message appears to have been sent by a well-known company (such as your bank), be extra wary: most institutions don’t request personal information from customers by email.
How can I protect myself from phishing?
There is no automatic surefire way to protect yourself from phishing. The solution is to take precautions:
- Don’t answer emails that request urgent or immediate action and warn of imminent consequences, don’t click the suggested links, don’t open the attachments and don’t share any personal information.
- Even if you know the company that purportedly sent the email, avoid clicking any links. Instead, enter the official Web address in your Web browser.
- Check the quality of the writing: Phishing emails often contain spelling mistakes.
- Update your software, especially Adobe Flash Player, Adobe Reader, your antivirus software and operating system.
- Before making an online transaction, always check the reliability of the company’s website.
What security measures are being taken by Videotron to protect its customers?
- Emails sent to your Videotron address (email@example.com) go through our spam filter, so most phishing emails are intercepted before they end up in your inbox.
- If you receive a message that seems fraudulent, flag it by clicking the “Spam” button in the Webmail section. You can also fill out our Report Internet Hacking form.
- We take your reports very seriously and will take action to block hackers and fraudsters.
- Our Maximum Security Services offer you additional protection against fraud attempts with a system that detects suspicious links sent by email or instant messaging.
Need help? Contact Customer Service
Services for the
hearing impaired (TTY)
From your Videotron mobile phone, dial 611.
Monday to Friday: 7:30 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday: 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
24-hour Automated Service: 1-866-380-2967